Thursday, June 19, 2008

drive-thrus

It has become apparent in the last few months that I am getting old because little things are starting to annoy me now more than ever. For instance, I can't stand loud music....especially rap music being blared out of a cutlass supreme with spinners and a system that costs waaayy more than the actual vehicle. I really don't like crowds..........I don't know of many people who actually enjoy crowds, but I've become one of those people where I won't go to certain places or events because I know its going to be crowded and I'm going to be grumpy. The last thing that really has started to annoy me is drive-thru windows. Let me elaborate.

There are a few aspects of the drive-thru window that just really piss me off.

1. When I am at the speaker box and the restaurant apparently has a pre-recorded person spewing out all the specials or asking if you want to try the new whatever meal, then at the end of the message, the person says "If not, order when you're ready." So I am ready because I've been sitting in line for a while and I know most fast food menus by heart anyway, and when I start spouting off all the things I want and the things I don't want on certain things, I am interrupted by a person saying...........can I take your order or sorry i can't hear you, what did you say you wanted. So then I have to repeat my whole order over again. That irritates me. Don't record "order when you're ready" if you're not going to be ready for me to order!!

2. When the person repeats my order back to me in lightning speed and I'm trying to figure out if what they are repeating to me is what I actually ordered. If I ordered a number one with cheese, no pickles, no onions, with mayo, tater tots, and a large dr. pepper, the order always comes back something like.............so i've got a tater tot, large dr. pepper, number one mayo add cheese, minus pickles and onions (by someone who sounds like they are related to one of the chipmunks because they are repeating it so quickly)? would you like to super size that for a quarter more?

3. When I'm ordering (the second time because I already started ordering after they told me to order when I'm ready) and the person taking my order has a brain the size of a gnat and cannot "understand" what I'm saying. I interpret that to mean, I wasn't paying attention cause I was checking out the new fry girl. Then I have to repeat my order all over again for a third time, or even worse I think, is when they get about half of your order and you can't tell if its the first half or the second half. Am I gonna end up with two hamburgers and no fries or drinks or am I gonna end up with two fries and two drinks and no hamburgers?

4. The lack of enthusiasm by the drive-thru order takers. I know it must be very daunting to repeat the same phrase over and over, but seriously, you chose to work at burger hut, so get used to saying, do you want ketchup with that..........and make it in a PLEASANT voice. at least fake like you enjoy working there.

5. (This one is the one that annoys me the most.) When I give you my money in a very orderly manner and you hand me my money back to me in this order: paper money, receipt, change balancing on top of pile waiting to fall off at any given minute. how is that natural? i have spent time working in retail and i never did this. i always handed the person the loose change first.....waited for them to get that situated, and then handed them the paper money and receipt if they wanted it. having the change piled on top like that is a recipe for disaster. i've dropped change in a drive thru before and i've never gotten it.....i just drive off and leave it there. maybe its all a scheme to have people drop their change and then the workers go out in shifts and collect all the money that has fallen and they split it. i don't know, but it sure pisses me off.

That is my short little rant about how much drive thru windows suck. i hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: